HR Meeting 14 September 2016
Members present: 21
Apologies: Paul Cabban, Mike Hall, Jan Young, Rob Thomas, Kim Callow, Tony Dimarco
Minutes of Last Meeting Matters arising: – Please check the newsletter for the last meeting minutes.
- Steph – England Athletics have decided to raise fee for next year. Membership will be £14 for next year and club affiliation will remain at £100.
- Horntye – in process of updating website and would like information re Hastings Runners times/ meetings etc. Steph and Andy will advise them.
- Bonfire Torch Run 15/10/16 – Steph is away. Nick Webb will step in as organiser. Around 12 HR needed for this and it would be good for some who have never done it to join it. Henry has already volunteered.
- Tim – Sussex Sunday League X-country dates have been sent around. There are educed fees for entering all 6 events, Tim has a list for people to add their names. Affiliation to EA will be needed, so non-affiliated booking all races in advance have to pay the fee which brings it to £24 for members who are not affiliated and £12 for those who are. Entry on the day is £3.50 for affiliated and £5 for non-affiliated. Snape X-country on 9th October is a HR championship.
- Andy brought up a clash of events 12 February 2017 and Pier to Pier.
- Age categories have been changed to 5 year instead of 10 years between.
Membership: Mary reported current membership is now 384.
Treasurer: Rob had prepared the treasurer’s report for August but was not present. Balance is healthy despite some heavy outgoings during August. Rob has organised the coach for Rye to Hastings.
- 10/8/16 – Herstmonceux relays – good turnout, 70 teams. HR did very well.
- 12/8/16 – Rye Classic 10k HR champs – Andy ran this, another good turnout by HR.
- 17/8/16 – Ladies run in the park. Alison reported and improved her time compared with last time. A good number of runners who had never done a race before. More experience runners were also there helping out.
- 28/8/16 – Will Page 10 k Memorial race SGP –
- 4/9/16 – Battle 10k HR champs. 421 finishers. Well organised, good crowd. 85 HR took part. Jenna was first lady and several other good results for HR.
- 4/9/16 – Eridge 10k, Steph reported a few HR had taken part and enjoyed the race and the cakes. She and Sylvia won their age groups.
- 11/9/16 – Hellingly 10k HR champs and SGP. Louise reported, 3rd in her age category. Not a big event, around 35 HR took part.
- 11/9/16 – Medoc Marathon – Nick suggested it should be a club champs race for next year! Thoroughly enjoyed by all.
- Bank Holiday – Grijsloke weekend as usual, all enjoyed. Very hot as usual. Sylvia won her age group.
- 18/9/16 – Rye to Hastings HR champs – Tim mentioned this will be the first race to try out the new timing system. Tim would like to see more information put out about club-only races, via newsletter.
- 18/9/16 – Hove Prom 10k SGP
- 25/9/16 – Barns Green Half Marathon SGP and HR champs – not many HR entered.
- 24 and 25/9/16 – Several HR doing Sussex Stride
- 2/10/16 – Lewes Downland 10 mile SGP
- 16/10/16 – 1066 run.
- 27/11/16 – Crowborough 10k SGP
Sussex Grand Prix: Kim not present to report.
Training Nights/Coaching: Steve said next meeting is on Weds 21st September. Natasha suggested that
it would be helpful if HR members could put forward ideas to be discussed at coaches’ meetings. This will be done.
Hastings Half: Entries coming in well now. Please take flyers to events to promote it.
1066 run – race numbers are going out next week. Steve Scott, Olympic medallist, will be starting the race
Hastings 5m: 7th May 2017. Vic reported the £5,000 has been given to St Michael’s Hospice.
Parkrun: Picnic for marshals in Peter’s garden was very successful and he will be holding it again next year.
Social Media/News, etc: Anthony is planning a closed social media website for Hastings Runners as an alternative to Facebook. Forums will be part of this. He explained it would be very similar to Facebook but only for HR. Tim mentioned that Facebook should not be used as a place to discuss club business. Natasha mentioned some issues of this kind after Battle 10k.
There was some discussion around the use of HR email and it was generally felt this was the best route for official news that all club members would need to know.
Social Secretary: Andy thanked Peter for his garden party for Parkrun marshals. Nick reported the carnival week pram race was very successful and enjoyable and lots of money raised. Treasure hunt last Sunday was excellent – many thanks to Jenny and John. Annual presentation – Friday 27th January 2017 at East Hastings Sea Angling Association.
- Last off-road run and meal – a great evening for all who attended. Those who went approved of the venue and meal. Nigel had taken the usual Tuesday Horntye run and there were cakes after!
- HR hoodies, etc – Marie showed the sample tops – vest, short sleeved top and hoody. Also there is a badge format which can be purchased to sew onto any garment. The firm is GP Promoware behind ASDA. Everyone thought the samples looked good. HR can choose to purchase from either firm who make out kit. Tim thanked Marie for her efforts; asked her to organise a link via HR website so that people can start to order kit from GP Promoware.
- CPR Training – Mary still in contact Dave Mercer but does not look likely to take place in the near future. Nigel knew of someone who had recently set up training sessions and will find out further details.
- Electronic Timing – see above re Rye to Hastings race; registration may take longer than usual.
- Club colours – Tim put this to the meeting – do we want to standardise the range of kit we have? ie should it always be the white lettering, + green, on a black background. Terry felt that as a matter of courtesy, any large variation from this should go via Tim/club meeting. There were varying views about the use of the pink version of a HR running top for Race for Life. This will need further discussion at a later date. Tim read out the official rules about club kit. Terry formally proposed that any change to club kit or use of the club logo should be discussed in advance at a club meeting. This was agreed. Nigel asked for clarification about wearing club colours for races club colours should always be worn for races unless someone new does not have a top and has asked prior permission (from Tim) to run in a different top. Another reason could be, for example, when a runner in participating in order to raise money for charity and wears the charity vest. Richard had a further query about whether points / trophies should be awarded if someone has flouted these rules and it was agreed that in order to be awarded points and trophies the above rules must be followed.
- Expenses for those attending national relays, etc – Terry had raised this issue and gave his opinion ie that a reasonable amount should be set aside for defraying costs to those taking part but we need to be mindful about any increase in the amount spent by the club if more events / more individuals take part. It was agreed that if there is an upcoming event where members might be invited to attend on behalf of the club, it should be discussed in advance and any expenses involved should also be discussed and a maximum level set. Mike added that the event should be announced well in advance and added to the agenda of the next meeting, rather than brought up in any other business. This was put into a formal proposal by Terry; Nigel seconded this. This was carried, with one abstention.
- Flashing armbands – Peter had some of these and would like to give them out to Parkrun marshals as a token of appreciation.
- Parkrun volunteers – Peter proposed another Christmas get-together for volunteers.
- Walking Festival in 2017 – Peter suggested that HR might like to organise a walk to tie in with this event.
- 1066 mosaic, St Mary in the Castle – nothing to do with HR but Peter wanted to promote this, well worth a visit!
- Funding – Peter asked for some funding from the club in relation to a charity event organised by the Rotarians. There was discussion, but it was felt that this might set a precedent. However, it may be possible to raise some funding via, for example, our Christmas Card collection.
Meeting closed at 9:45 pm. Next meeting will be on 19th October 2016 and will be preceded by the AGM at 8:00 pm.