Monthly Meeting: Minutes (03-08-2016)

HR Meeting 3rd August 2016

Members present: 17

Apologies: Paul Cabban, Nick Webb, Nigel Thornely, Nathasha Slow, Km Callow

Minutes of Last Meeting Matters arising: Please check the newsletter for the last meeting minutes.

Correspondence:

  • Steph had details of a 10k race on Sunday 11th September in Littlehampton, organised by Chestnut House.
  • Tony mentioned that Horntye are having a website for the whole establishment and would like us to have a webpage. Tim will contact Peter Finch – photograph will be needed, preferably in club kit.
  • More coverage in local press – Simon Linklater has taken on the unofficial role of press secretary. All agreed this was very welcome and thanked Simon.
  • Leo – has an event coming up and wants to use some of our equipment. 10 am on 12th August, Battle Recreation Ground. Free event for children up to 14, all abilities. 3 races – a toddle, a short race around the rec and a full event for 2km (3 laps.) This is to promote running in Battle. Also, funding is to be made available for an all weather running track at the rec. Leo was very pleased that Hastings Runners have volunteered to help. It was agreed that Leo could borrow the timing clock and use the HR logo in publicity. You can register by email to Leo or on the day – up to 200 places available.

Membership: Mary reported current membership is now 379.

Treasurer: Rob had prepared the treasurer’s report for July and clarified details for the meeting. Healthy financial situation currently.

Running Reports:

  • 7/7/16 – Barry Richards – Terry arrived late! It was a cold evening. Leo had enjoyed the race.
  • 16/7/16 – TJ Summer 5 mile – This event went really well, 45 runners on a splendid evening, with excellent barbecue afterwards. 11 took part in the children’s race. Several families present and it was a great social event.
  • 20/7/16 – Club 5k handicap – low numbers this year. Steph had a query about those who ran with no number, who did not have a time. Corrina confirmed that they should have a time recorded. Anthony clarified some further details. He said he could write a programme for next year to make it easier. Following on from last month’s meeting, it was agreed that we should consider whether the handicap race should be a club champs event or not.

Running Due:

  • 10/8/16 – Herstmonceux Relays – only 12 per club this year.
  • 17/8/16 – Ladies’ run – this event is being promoted currently. More men are needed – to marshal!
  • 28/8/16 – Tim’s 10 mile cross country – runners and riders
  • 28/8/16 – Will Page Memorial 10 k Newick SGP
  • 4/9/16 – Battle 10 km SGP/HR champs
  • 11/9/16 – Hellingly 10 km SGP/HR champs
  • 18/9/16 – Rye to Hastings HR champs – it was suggested the race should be along the sea wall instead of the road, from Dog’s Hill to toilets just after the Smugglers. Rob will arrange for a coach; need to keep an eye on numbers in case coach is over-full and additional transport is needed. Terry suggested people should book and pay for places on the coach; when the coach is full, additional cars will be arranged. Short race will also take place.
  • 18/9/16 – Hove Prom 10k SGP
  • 25/9/16 – Barns Green Half Marathon SGP
  • 2/10/16 – Lewes Downland 10 mile SGP
  • 27/11/16 – Crowborough 10k SGP

Sussex Grand Prix: Wendy, Susan M, Jenna are top 3 ladies. Matthew B, Leo and Bob Russell top 3 men.

Training Nights/Coaching: Steve, Sylvia and Hannah will be sharing their feedback from training at an upcoming coaches’ meeting. Corrina noted that some people are not making arrangements for others to take their rota slot, when they cannot manage it – reminder for this at next meeting.

Hastings Half: Not much news at this time of year. Eric asked HR keep mentioning the race when they are at other events. Eric mentioned some details which need to be discussed, including travel arrangements, for the Battle to Hastings run in October.

Hastings 5m: Tony had the financial report, showing the donation of £5,000 which was made to St Michael’s Hospice last week. We are really proud of Tony, Mary, Vic and Terry for this tremendous result. A great race with an excellent outcome. Tony mentioned some sponsors for the coming year’s race. Date for next year = 7th May 2017.

Parkrun: Going well, numbers good, Pirate run was good success. Peter Cocker is hosting another marshal’s party at this h’use. 14th August.

Social Media/News, etc: Nothing to report.

Social Secretary:

  • Andy – Carnival pram race taking place this evening – Kim had been spotted in full fancy dress before the meeting! Treasure Hunt is 11th September organised by Jenny and John – further details shortly; from Linton Gardens this year. Boules – unfortunately first date was victim of the weather and had to be cancelled. Annual presentation event – need to start arranging this bearing in mind availability of venue and band. Steph and Andy to organise.
  • Steph mentioned the final off road run 7th September, being arranged at Cove Hotel, Fairlight, same as last year. £11 per head – everyone had been impressed with the food provided last time.

AOB:

  • HR hoodies, etc – Marie had some pricing details for alternative suppliers. She gave further details for both. It was felt we needed to see some of the designs before deciding. Best to keep to a small range of garments. Marie to ask for mock-ups to bring to next meeting; good idea would be to have them available before Christmas.
  • CPR Training – Mary still trying to contact Dave Mercer.
  • Final Cross Country Race – date to be decided – probably 19th or 26th February. Pier to Pier will be on 12th February.
  • Electronic Timing – New equipment has arrived, new laptop all set up and ready to go. Tim asked for suggestions for an event to use as a practice run, before using it at Rye to Hastings. It was agreed the ladies’ race should be a trial run, with manual system running alongside the barcode system. Terry emphasised it was important that all participants should be clear about the use of their individual barcode; Tim confirmed that barcodes would be issued at registration, rather than each HR keeping their own barcode. Tim and Anthony to liaise about arranging for each member to have a barcode.
  • Communication for members – email database to be set up, for official business of club, as previously proposed. Tim and Anthony to liaise.
  • SGP rep and Newsletter compiler – Kim tendered his notice for these roles, with effect from AGM.
  • Paul Sargent will also be stepping down from his role (target times champs) w.e.f. end December.
  • Results – There was discussion about how to get results from races (non-HR races) – Terry suggested individuals submit own times; Sarah suggested Power of 10/England Athletics website, which shows all EA accredited races very soon after the event. Rob suggested we should define the various club roles so that people have a clear idea of what might be involved in taking on a role within the club.

Meeting closed at 9:45 pm.

Next meeting – 8 pm on Wednesday 7th September 2016.